Thursday 22 November 2012

El Salvador airport, Wednesday 7th November 2012

Backtrack to 7th Nov.

There I was having a nice little kip, waiting in El Salvador airportfor our onward flight to Bolivia, when I was rudely shaken awake. (Editor; there is probably no 'politely shaken awake').

Instead of Sarah doing the shaking, I awoke to the very large settee I was enjoying shaking and the advertising displays wobbling. Others, including airport staff, jumped to their feet and made their way to the main corridor. Then I realised the actual concrete structure of the whole building was visibly quaking. Not even Sarah can achieve that level of energy, not even on a bad day. Eureka - it was an earthquake.

It transpired that it was actually in nearby Guatemala, measuring 7.5 on the Richter scale. I have always wanted to be in a 'proper' earthquake, and I was not disappointed. It was impressive, but not at all scary in my particular situation.

Until recently I did not realise that a one point increase on the Richter scale is a thousandfold increase in an earthquakes energy.

I am more than happy with my experience of a semi-distant 7.5 quake. That is quite enough, thankyou. Another experience ticked off my list. I suspect I may go through some more before returning home.....

 

1 comment:

  1. Not the first time the Earth has moved for you... (yes, that was predictable but I couldn't help myself!)

    ReplyDelete