Wednesday 20 June 2012

Laurel & Hardy.

Laurel & Hardy. Morecombe & Wise. The Two Ronnies. Abbot & Costello. Bob & Hope.
In the rich vein of comic duos I introduce.....
Wayne & Romie. (Short for Romaine).
May I suggest that if you see these two men approaching you that you flee. I know they look harmless, but looks can be deceiving....

If I tell you that one of their many stories involves hunting moose alog the edge of a river/lake from a canoe. With the added creativity invoked by 'some beers' they added a step ladder to the canoe to raise the position of the shooter over the undergrowth. And it worked.
Or that they were heavily involved in the massive division of state land in the 80-90's. Their quote?
"We were there to f**k it up before anyobody else"

The particular evening I met them went as follows:
We were stood around a typically large outdoor fire pit (Lit of course), drinking some beers. To the uneducated eye it may have appeared that Romie fell into the fire.
 However, I can testify that Romie saw a potentially dangerous fire spark form, and threw himself on it. (The civilian equivalent of falling on a grenade).
With no small amount of aplomb he kept his beer bottle vertical inspite of a complete eskimo roll into the fire itself. Wayne eventually pulled his friend from the fire (Showing no signs of rushing whatsoever), confident in Romie's fire resistant clothing (A good lesson for us all I thought to myself).
I smiled when Romie regained his feet, took a swig from his botle,  and said;
"I haven't done that in a while".
A Class Act, I salute you both.
(PS. Gents, we have mislaid your e-mail - please get in touch if you ever read this).

1 comment:

  1. Sarah and Dave,

    Had a look through your blogs and now looking forward to seeing the rest of them!

    Just give me an idea of how far you were away from any help when you went drinking with these two...:)

    Dave.

    ReplyDelete